An External Wastegate (EWG) allows exhaust gases to be diverted prior to entering the turbo; thus creating a quicker turbo spool. GrimmSpeed’s EWG has a larger diameter than the stock internal wastegate; this allows the exhaust gas to be released faster, which improves boost control, maintains maximum boost longer in the rpm range, and extends the life of the turbo. Moving the wastegate out of the turbo relieves the turbo from the massive amounts of turbulence that the stock internal wastegate creates.
The EWG Up-Pipe is built from 304 SS with thick 13mm 304 SS flanges. A flex section has been added; this will extend the life of the product(allows expansion/contraction of pipe without cracking) and will lead to less exhaust leaks. Users should expect gains in the 15-40hp range when tuned for the EWG set-up.
Also available separately is the wastegate bracket, which hold the stock internal wastegate shut. This bracket is helpful because the turbo door does not need to be welded shut, decreasing the chance for leaks and allowing for easy removal if necessary. The GrimmSpeed EWG Up-Pipe Kit fits more downpipes than any other EWG Up-Pipe on the market, including the Turbo XS 4" bellmouth
- Quality Flex Joint - We've sold well more than 600 pipes with flex joints and have never had an issue with any stock grimmspeed pipe.
- Flow through Flex - There are no big steps in the flow path of our flex joint. Our flex is not located on a bend so there is very minimal flow loss(if any) through the flex.
- Curved EWG Side Outlet - Our ewg up pipes come with an angled side outlet which allows us to obtain optimal flow to the external wastegate.
- 2.0mm Piping Thickness - almost all pipes on the market use a 1.5mm thick piping wall, not us. We use a 2mm thick piping wall(33% thicker than all of our competition!)
- Pipe to Flange Connection - Much smoother connection. Piping is ported flush with flange so there is no step into the pipe.
- 1.92" Inlet = Perfect match to gasket allowing a little room for gasket movement(anything bigger, ie 2", will almost be guaranteed to put the gasket in the flow which is horrible for flow)
- 1.75" Outlet = Narrowing down from 1.92 to 1.75 acts as a funnel. Also very close match to most common turbos so you have much less step going into the turbo(unlike a straight through 2" which creates a huge step going into most common turbos vf's, tdo4s, etc)
- Massive 304SS flanges
- 10+whp gain
- Minimal internal steps for maximum flow
- Complete stainless steel construction(pipe, flex section, flanges)
- Optional ceramic coating
- Weight reduction over stock piece
- Flex joint that is NOT located in the bend which adds life expectancy to the flex section. many other up pipes have a flex right in a sharp bend so all the exhaust/turbulence is hitting up against it.
- Reduce turbo lag
- Increase exhaust flow to turbo
- 2002-2014 WRX
- 2004-2015 STi
- 2004-2013 FXT
- 2005-2009 LGT and OBXM
- 2004-2006 Baja XT
- Dump Tube
- 5 Studs and nuts for up-pipe
- 2 bolts and nuts for exhaust manifold connection
- Turbo inlet gasket
- Exhaust manifold to up-pipe gasket
- Waste gate SOLD SEPARATELY
- Internal Waste gate Bracket SOLD SEPARATELY